We present the first human case of anisakidosis acquired from eating locally caught fish in Australia. A 41-year-old woman experienced gastrointestinal pain, vomiting and diarrhoea of increasing severity over 3 weeks. All symptoms resolved spontaneously after a worm was passed in her faeces. Microscopic examination showed that it was a Contracaecum species larva of the family Anisakidae. Anisakidosis should be considered in patients with gastrointestinal symptoms who have recently eaten seafood.
|Number of pages||2|
|Journal||Medical Journal of Australia|
|Publication status||Published - Feb 2011|