The School for the German Language was established in 1959 and is the longest serving ethnic school (post World War II) in South Australia. It functions on Saturday mornings. Enrolments had declined between 1975 and 1984 but have stablised since 1985 at around 200. The ethnic composition of the students at the school has shifted from first or second generation Germans to 'multicultural' students - parents of many different ethnic backgrounds send their children to the school. Although the future of The School for the German Language looked gloomy at one stage, enrolments are stable and it is expected that the recommendation of Lo Bianco (1995) to use ethnic schools as complementary providors in language teaching within the SA education system might have a positive impact.